Backports to 1.1.1 and what is allowed

Tim Hudson tjh at cryptsoft.com
Fri Jun 19 22:34:33 UTC 2020

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020, 8:14 am Benjamin Kaduk, <kaduk at mit.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 08:11:16AM +1000, Tim Hudson wrote:
> > The general concept is to only fix serious bugs in stable releases.
> > Increasing performance is not fixing a bug - it is a feature.
>
> Is remediating a significant performance regression fixing a bug?

It would be a bug - but not a serious bug. So no.
It works. It was released.
Wholesale replacement of implementations of algorithms should not be
happening in LTS releases.

We make no performance guarantees or statements in our releases (in
general).

And performance isn't an issue for the vast majority of our users.

Those for whom performance is critical also tend to be building their own
releases in my experience.

Tim.