[OTC VOTE PROPOSAL] Fixing missing failure exit status is a bug fix

Nicola Tuveri nic.tuv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 20:29:43 UTC 2020

Off-list I received a suggestion to use "unhandled" (thanks again!).

I am not sure about it (I actually originally discarded in my first
draft of this proposal) because I am afraid that talking of "unhandled
return value" from a function might be misinterpreted as cases in
which we are ignoring the return value of a callee or in which we are
not considering the whole set of possible return values.

Anyway, now that I disclaimed my doubts about it, I would submit to
your consideration this alternative to the original vote text:

        In the context of the OpenSSL apps, we qualify as bug fixes the
        changes to return a failure exit status when a called function
        fails with an unhandled return value.
        Even when these bug fixes change the apps behavior triggering
        early exits (compared to previous versions of the apps), as bug
        fixes, they do not qualify as behavior changes that require an
        explicit OMC approval.

Would this be preferable to the original proposal?

Cheers,

Nicola