OTC quick votes [WAS: RE: OTC vote PR #16171: config_diagnostic]

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com
Tue Aug 3 19:26:27 UTC 2021

> I'm starting to vote -1 on anything has a vote text that looks like that, so -1.

I perfectly understand Kurt's dislike of this kind of votes. The text is not very informative for OTC members who
weren't able to participate at the weekly video meetings.

IMHO it proves that the current voting mechanism does not scale well with the number of decisions that have to be made.
The rate of those decision has increased heavily during the final phase of the 3.0 development and the weekly video meetings
were an attempt to improve agility and get those decisions made. On the other side, the voting scheme has remained unchanged,
mailing '+-1' replies to the mailing list within a certain time interval and recording them arduously in a GitHub repository.

Maybe we need to overthink the online voting rules and optimize them slightly. For example, we could require an online
quota in which case the online votes can be held immediately, but they would need to be documented properly with
a meaningful subject line and ideally also a rationale. We could switch to publishing meeting protocols which document all
online votes properly, including the rationale. Maybe those online votes could be excluded from the official participation count
mentioned in the bylaws as indicator for OTC activity.

These are just some wild thoughts for the moment. I doubt we will have time to discuss it in detail before the final 3.0 release.
But maybe it would be a good subject for the next OTC face-to-face meeting.

Matthias