OTC quick votes [WAS: RE: OTC vote PR #16171: config_diagnostic]

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Tue Aug 3 22:07:06 UTC 2021

On Wed, Aug 04, 2021 at 07:21:57AM +1000, Tim Hudson wrote:

> This isn't about the OTC meeting itself - this is about the details of the
> topic actually being captured within the PR.
> You need to actually look at the PR to form a view. And we do add to the
> PRs during the discussion if things come up and we review the PR details.
> So the vote isn't about an OTC discussion - the vote is precisely about the
> PR itself.
>
> One of the things we have explicitly discussed on multiple calls is that in
> order to be informed of the details, you need to consult the PR which has a
> record of the discussion and often viewpoints that offer rather different
> positions on a topic - and those viewpoints are what should be being
> considered.

I am happy to read the issue/PR to see the different view points.
But different viewpoints is exactly the problem, which of those am
I voting for?

During a meeting, there probably was a consensus about what you're
actually voting for, but that information is lost.

In general, I want a vote to be about what is going to change, the
how isn't important most of the time.

Kurt