OTC quick votes [WAS: RE: OTC vote PR #16171: config_diagnostic]

Tim Hudson tjh at cryptsoft.com
Tue Aug 3 21:21:57 UTC 2021

On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 5:26 AM Dr. Matthias St. Pierre <
Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com> wrote:

> > I'm starting to vote -1 on anything has a vote text that looks like
> that, so -1.
>
> I perfectly understand Kurt's dislike of this kind of votes. The text is
> not very informative for OTC members who
> weren't able to participate at the weekly video meetings.

This isn't about the OTC meeting itself - this is about the details of the
topic actually being captured within the PR.
You need to actually look at the PR to form a view. And we do add to the
PRs during the discussion if things come up and we review the PR details.
So the vote isn't about an OTC discussion - the vote is precisely about the
PR itself.

One of the things we have explicitly discussed on multiple calls is that in
order to be informed of the details, you need to consult the PR which has a
record of the discussion and often viewpoints that offer rather different
positions on a topic - and those viewpoints are what should be being
considered.

If you wanted to form a view on the basis of vote text without a reference
to the PR, then you would require replication of the issue, the PR code
changes, and the PR comment discussion.
Such an approach would be a complete waste of time and resources. We want
the discussion in terms of an issue to be in the PR itself.

Often during OTC meetings additional comments (separate from the consensus
viewpoint) are added capturing an relevant point from the OTC discussions
(which can be quite free flowing).

The email based voting mechanism is a separate topic and one I've expressed
views on multiple times - as I do think we should have an online mechanism
for voting and tallying and communicating about votes - but that isn't this
specific issue Kurt is raising here.

Tim.