OpenSSL seeks feedback on draft mission & values statement

Tom A. thomasasta at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 31 16:24:32 UTC 2023

Hello Hugo, here is some feedback

*Draft Mission Statement*

We believe everyone should have access to security and privacy tools,
whoever they are, wherever they are or whatever their personal beliefs are,
as a fundamental human right.

Better:

We believe: the right to encrypt and the use of privacy and security tools
is a fundamental human right, that belongs to all human beings – whoever
they are, wherever they are or whatever their personal beliefs are!

Comments:

·        Say in the first sentence what you want to say. That kernel is
about a fundamental human right. Say it first and not broken with yadda
yadda wherever in the the middle.

·        Add what you do: you encrypt. Strengthen and focus on that and
don’t fade away into just we make tools.

·        To encrypt is not a question of tools or libraries or some
codings, it is today a question of law. Hence we need the term for “Right
to Encrypt”. It is currently in Europe and especially Germany soon
discusses by Government and implicitly be UK and EU for breaking Encryption
and the implication by law.

·        Include “All human beings” as the second statement. No one is
excluded, as the fundamental human right is for all valid.

·        Mention Privacy before Security. It is not about security of
governmental processes (makro perspective) or of the organizations and
groups (meso perspective) it is about the micro perspective: it is about
the privacy of individuals – that is the right to encrypt.

*Our Values*

*Changes in Yellow:*

   - We believe all our communities are important and inclusive.
   - We believe in the principles of open source software, not only for its
   inherent values but also for the transparency, trust and accountability
   it provides to our tools for encryption, privacy security.
   - We believe in behaving in a manner that fosters trust and
confidence, compliance
   and personal trust in others.
   - We believe that our governance and output should be transparent and
   open.
   - We believe that no Government, Organisation or Individual should have
   undue influence over the delivery of our mission, over our networking or
   over our results of work.

Probably add some operations:

*Our Means and Goals*

   - We lead our teams, communities and working provesses in a competent
   way.
   - We have goals according to our mission and ideas and shre these
   transparently
   - We continuously talk about our resources and networking
   - We strive for excellent processes to maintain our results of ideas and
   work
   - We strengthen our communities and teams
   - We see each human beeing as our customer and partner and act
   inclusively.
   - Our mission is our first ethic and social responsibility
   - The results of our networking, work and comming together are presented
   reguarly.
   -