[openssl-users] OpenSSL Release Strategy and Blog

Dr. Stephen Henson steve at openssl.org
Wed Dec 24 21:55:29 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014, Ken Goldman wrote:

> >Version 1.1.0 will (moderately) break source compatibility (for example we will make most structures opaque etc).
>
> I as a user, I have two points of concern"
>
> 1 - Will the RSA structure be opaque?  I have a continuing need to
> construct an RSA structure from binary arrays of public and private
> key parts and vice versa.
>
> Will I lose that?

RSA is something which most probably will be opaque along with DSA, DH and
the associated methods.

So you wont be able to access the structure directly. However I think it is
pretty certain there will be new utility functions to access the public and
private key components of RSA (and DSA, DH) structures.

The reason I say that is that you need that functionality to make ENGINE
work.

Steve.