[openssl-users] EVP-level load_key functions

Reinier Torenbeek reinier.torenbeek at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 20:18:23 UTC 2015

I am interested in leveraging the following three functions:

ENGINE_load_private_key()
ENGINE_load_public_key()
ENGINE_load_certificate()

Unfortunately, the latter is missing. This was mentioned in a recent
thread on this list as well (see
http://www.mail-archive.com/openssl-users@openssl.org/msg77566.html). Is
it planned for any future release?

The former two functions are present though and I was looking for their
EVP-level counterparts to access them in the proper way. Apparently,
those do not exist either. Previously, I was under the impression that
the EVP API exposes all engine-implemented functions. Are these
EVP_load_xxx functions missing from EVP because they are "todo in a
future release" or are they omitted by design?

By the way, I did find functions in apps/apps.c called load_key(),
load_pubkey() and load_cert(). The look quite like the EVP-level
functions I was expecting.

Thanks,
Reinier