[openssl-users] EVP-level load_key functions

Dr. Stephen Henson steve at openssl.org
Thu Aug 6 23:06:18 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015, Reinier Torenbeek wrote:

> I am interested in leveraging the following three functions:
>
> ENGINE_load_private_key()
> ENGINE_load_public_key()
> ENGINE_load_certificate()
>
> Unfortunately, the latter is missing. This was mentioned in a recent
> thread on this list as well (see
> http://www.mail-archive.com/openssl-users@openssl.org/msg77566.html). Is
> it planned for any future release?

At some point yes but it's quite complex decided what the parameters should
be: e.g. to lookup certificates matching one or more criteria.

> The former two functions are present though and I was looking for their
> EVP-level counterparts to access them in the proper way. Apparently,
> those do not exist either. Previously, I was under the impression that
> the EVP API exposes all engine-implemented functions. Are these
> EVP_load_xxx functions missing from EVP because they are "todo in a
> future release" or are they omitted by design?

The ENGINE_load*key functions rerturn an EVP_PKEY structure which can be
used by EVP directly.

There are other functions which can load an EVP_PKEY structure too like the
PEM and PKCS12 functions.

Steve.