[openssl-users] Changing malloc/debug stuff

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Thu Dec 17 15:55:12 UTC 2015

On 17/12/2015 10:28, Salz, Rich wrote:

> I want to change the memory alloc/debug things.
>
> Right now there are several undocumented functions to allow you to
> swap-out the malloc/realloc/free routines, wrappers that call those
> routines, debug versions of those wrappers, and functions to set the
> set-options versions of those functions.  Yes, really J  Is anyone
> using that stuff?
>
> I want to change the model so that there are three wrappers around
> malloc/realloc/free, and that the only thing you can do is change that
> wrapper.  This is vastly simpler and easier to understand.  I also
> documented it.  A version can be found at
> https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/450
>
> I’ve posted about this before.  But I’m asking again if this kind of
> change will cause problems for anyone.

I don't need it so I don't object.  But if anyone objects,
you could write a compatibility module that can be called
to use the new interface to change in a compatible variant
of the old wrappers, which would then provide the old
hooks/facilities when needed while staying out of the way
(not even being linked into static programs) for the rest
of us.

I guess this is because that interface is not a part of a
commercial grade full featured SSL/TLS and general purpose
crypto library, it is just a means to do quality assurance
on said library.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas

Jakob