[openssl-users] Need help encrypting my ca.key

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Tue Jan 6 23:39:04 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 05:25:21PM -0600, jack seth wrote:

> Well I ran the command
> openssl asn1parse -in ca.key
>
> I got a bunch of numbers, a hex dump, and something that says 'rsaEncryption'

In that case, this is a PKCS#8 file encoded in PEM.  The first
line was probably:

	-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----

> It does have MII at the start but it also has ----Begin Private Key---- at the beginning.

Now that I've read this far, good to see everything still makes
sense.

> Any more steps to follow to find out what type of key this is?

It is an RSA key, in PKCS#8 format, encoded as PEM.  The "openssl
pkey" command outputs PKCS#8.  The "openssl rsa" command outputs
the legacy RSA format.  Use "openssl pkey" not "openssl rsa".

But to be blunt this is all a big waste of time.  Both formats work
just fine, and contain identical data, if you bother to check it
with "-text".

--
	Viktor.