[openssl-users] Can OpenSSL applications/utilities use SunSPARC crypto accelerators?

Aaron wangqun at alumni.nus.edu.sg
Tue Jul 21 06:37:24 UTC 2015

I read the following description from Oracle Solaris website
(https://blogs.oracle.com/DanX/entry/how_to_tell_if_sparc)

OpenSSL T4 engine Availability
The OpenSSL t4 engine is available with Solaris 11 and 11.1. For Solaris 10
08/11 (U10), you need to use the OpenSSL pkcs11 engine. The OpenSSL t4
engine is distributed only with the version of OpenSSL distributed with
Solaris (and not third-party or self-compiled versions of OpenSSL).

The following announcement is from OpenSSL.
Changes between 1.0.1l and 1.0.2 [22 Jan 2015]
  *) Support for SPARC Architecture 2011 crypto extensions, first
     implemented in SPARC T4. This covers AES, DES, Camellia, SHA1,
     SHA256/512, MD5, GHASH and modular exponentiation.
     [Andy Polyakov, David Miller]

I am confused. I don't know which one is right.

I thought the announcement from OpenSSL was right and the description in
Oracle website was obsolete. But my test results could not verify my idea.

Thanks,
Aaron