[openssl-users] Building OpenSSL with FIPS crypto Module Linker forking too many processes

John Foley foleyj at cisco.com
Fri Jun 5 17:42:46 UTC 2015

Well, since you're using the fips-ecp tarball, you'll need to include
no-ec2m when configuring OpenSSL 1.0.2a.  But this isn't why you're
seeing a fork error from fipsld.

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 (Is there a 14.4?) and don't see any issue.
However, I'm not setting CC, FIPSLD and FIPSDIR.  You shouldn't have to
set these.  Also, you're not doing a "make depend" after the config for
OpenSSL 1.0.2a.

Here's a summary of the procedure that worked for me:

wget --no-check-certificate
https://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-1.0.2a.tar.gz
wget --no-check-certificate
https://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-fips-ecp-2.0.9.tar.gz
tar -xzvf openssl-fips-ecp-2.0.9.tar.gz
cd openssl-fips-ecp-2.0.9/
./config fipscanisteronly no-asm --prefix=/nobackup/tmp/x88/fips
make
make install
cd ..
tar -xzvf openssl-1.0.2a.tar.gz
cd openssl-1.0.2a/
./config fips no-ec2m no-asm --with-fipsdir=/nobackup/tmp/x88/fips
make depend
make clean
make