[openssl-users] [openssl-dev] OpenSSL support on Solaris 11 (built on Solaris 10)

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Jun 16 15:46:16 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 12:51:31PM +0530, Atul Thosar wrote:
> Currently, we build OpenSSL v0.9.8zc on Solaris 10 (SunOS, sun4u, sparc)
> and it works well on Solaris 10 platform. We use Sun Studio 12 compiler.
>
> We would like to run it on Solaris 11.2 (SunOS, sun4v, sparc) platform w/o
> changing the build platform. I mean we will continue to build OpenSSL on
> Solaris 10 and run it on Solaris 11.
>
> Has anyone encounter such situation?  Appreciate any help/pointers if this
> mechanism will work?

Historically the approach you describe has worked quite well with
Solaris because the ABI is quite stable.  This is particularly the case
if you use only features that are extremely unlikely to be removed in a
new minor release (Solaris 12 would be a minor release).

(You should not build on anything older than S10 to run on S10 or later,
mostly due to subtle changes in how snprintf() works.)

But you should read the ABI compatibility promises that Oracle makes and
decide for yourself.

Nico