[openssl-users] Question about Openssl FIPS module and Python-openssl

security veteran security.veteran at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 19:51:57 UTC 2015

Hi,

I've built an openssl library with the FIPS objects modules, and I was
testing the new lib files by replacing the original library files such as
libcrypto.so with the new ones.

>From the FIPS user guide I understand that any applications which need to
use the OpenSSL FIPS modules will need to run the API FIPS_mode_set to
enable the FIPS mode.

My question is, for the applications/ libraries like Python-openssl which
depends on the openssl libraries, how do I make the Python-openssl module
to run the FIPS_mode_set API, in order to initialize/enable FIPS mode?

Also, does the FIPS_mode_set API only need to be run once by one of the
applications/ libraries which use OpenSSL?

Thanks for your helps!