[openssl-users] Is SHA hashing algorithm reversable?

Wall, Stephen swall at redcom.com
Mon Apr 4 14:42:52 UTC 2016

Hashes are not reversible.  When used to store passwords, the passwords is hashed with a random 'salt', and both the resultant value and the salt are stored.  When testing if an entered password is correct, you hash the entered password with the stored salt, and if the result matches the stored value, the entered password was correct.  Also, generally, a plain hash is not used, it is repeated some large number of times, sometimes with addition data added in, to slow down and complicate cracking attempts.  Google (or any other search engine) can give you lots of links for properly hashing and storing passwords.

-spw