[openssl-users] Fwd: CONGRATULATION____REF#87670

Johann v. Preußen jvp at forthepolls.org
Mon Apr 4 20:28:56 UTC 2016

i am not certain i understand how it is google's fault that this
owenevans98|Dawn was able to slip into the listserv database. this is, of
course, assuming that this was not done via a simple sign-up. i also do not
understand how prohibiting a posting (content, infra) that obfuscates a message
within a host of symbols with a net zero percent of prose and 100% anchor
description is responding to some sort of a "fad". this list is re problems and
solutions that can only be conveyed in prose ... no prose == no message. and
permitting private anchors is also a questionable security practice. it does not
seem unreasonable to require anchors to be to _recognized_ sandbox sites or --
much better -- to an openssl-operated one.

moreover, as i pointed out in a pm to Steve, this is a real security issue for
openssl's list in that such a breach (if it is one) opens the names and email
contact info of a broad range of security-responsible people that will
invariably include some in the upper regions of the perm chain. these people are
the very people that are targeted by malicious attempts (and some startling
successes) to breach much more than an organization's email system.

yes, this person has seemingly stopped with postings, but i am hearing no
assurance that they have even been eliminated from the subscription database.
just being able to listen will garner a wealth of sensitive info obtainable re a
most desirable crowd of people/victims.

even the most simplistic listserv app has the ability to withhold subscriber
email addr's and still provide a secure pm capability. now that it is
apparent|perceived that the list is vulnerable, i believe the prudent route to
go is to keep those addr's and subscriber real-world names out of the
"limelight". i see no reason why a sanitized subscriber profile available from a
link within the person's public handle would not be adequate for identification
purposes and would actually become an enhancement to the listserv app's
usefulness to subscribers. this would certainly shield the subscriber in a
reliably meaningful way, serve to protect a subscriber's own email system, and
enhance the security of openssl's own listserv ops.

--
Thank you,

Johann v. Preußen

*original anchor description (100% of the message content):*
Attn:__here__is__your___$lâˆ
âˆ
âˆ
__Facebσσk__giftcard.

__Wε__Nεεd__Yσμr__Shiρmeηt__Infσrmatiσηs__

Click_Here