[openssl-users] Spam

Johann v. Preußen jvp at forthepolls.org
Wed Apr 20 00:55:58 UTC 2016

i have posted my thoughts on unacceptable list access previously and it sank to
the level of a frequent poster denigrating other users since they took exception
to his self-professed role of protecting list admins in order "to avoid the list
admins following bad advice from people" who might have differing opinions from
his own. hopefully, that will not happen here.

in re the recent Brazilian Portuguese (note the 'R$' symbol for ISO BRL rather
than Euro) spam: what was wrong with that posting that should have been caught:

  * the IP of origin 52.165.41.104 is an MS delegation without rDNS and --
    obviously -- no SPF/TXT RR and
  * the claimed domain 'cloudapp.net' does not exist in whois (not a 100%
    indication of non-existence) or DNS (a 100% 'reject' indicator).

i have not used mailman for some time, but these two (2) simple errors would
have been blocked by normal 'postscreen' checks and should never have gotten as
far as mailman in any case. checking the EHLO format is in the µs range and a
DNS check should take < 100ms. thus, these types of errors could be quickly and
easily eliminated with a '521' without any RBL or list-serve processing at all.

the wider problem case is how non-subscribers are given two-way access to the
list that exposes so much subscriber info (name, professional affiliation, email
addr, ...) to whomever. i cannot fathom why the list does not make use of
aliases so that each subscriber can control what they want to make public via
their alias profile.

Thank you,

Johann v. Preußen