[openssl-users] OpenSSL FOM 2.0.12 - Windows Compliance

Steve Marquess marquess at openssl.com
Fri Aug 19 13:30:34 UTC 2016

On 08/19/2016 07:20 AM, Imran Ali wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>

> I need some help. I am looking for some evidence which I can provide to
> my auditor for FOM 2.0.12 is FIPS-140 compliance when compiled and used
> in Windows environment. When I look at the NIST web site under
> http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/140val-all.htm#1747
> I cannot see 2.0.12 version.
>

> Is there something I am missing?

Yes, it's rather confusing.

The one and only OpenSSL FIPS module ("OpenSSL FIPS Object Module 2.0")
is -- for perverse bureaucratic reasons[*] -- covered by three
separate[**] FIPS-140 validations:

  #1747	(revisions 2.0, 2.0.1, ..., 2.0.10)
  #2389 (revisions 2.0.9, ..., 2.0.13)
  #2473 (revisions 2.0.9, 2.0.10)

As always the latest revision (for a given validation) subsumes all
tested platforms listed for that validation. So for instance, 2.0.13 can
be used for all 33 platforms currently listed for validation #2398.
There are about 200 distinct platforms now across all validations.

So you need to look at the listed platforms for all validations[**], and
find which of them cover your platform (possibly more than one). Then
use the latest revision of the module for that validation.

If you only find your platform(s) of interest on a validation ending at
revision 2.0.10 (#1747, #2473), then you're forced to use revision
2.0.10 even though 2.0.13 (and future revisions) are completely backward
compatible. From a technical perspective 2.0.N is completely
functionally equivalent to all previous revisions < N, but down in the
FIPS-140 rabbit hole you're limited to the latest revision for the
relevant validation(s)[***].

The easy way to remember it is "one real-world module, multiple
FIPS-land validations". Or as one of my colleagues would put it,
"...multiple flavors of FIPS-140 magical pixie dust". The choice of
validation certificate number is a paper-chase exercise.

-Steve M.

[*] Obscenely perverse, I'm not even going to try and explain it. In
fact IMHO no rational explanation is possible.

[**] Technically speaking more than three; validations #2391, #2422,
#2454, #2575, #2631, #2676, and possibly others are "copycat" clones
done by third parties that introduce yet more platforms. Since these
validations are for the same OpenSSL FIPS module they are also
accessible to all under the OpenSSL license.

[***] OTOH note the later revisions aren't "better" than the earlier
ones in any meaningful sense, as we're not allowed to do feature
enhancements or bug-fixes (not even vulnerability mitigations). With
most software it's prudent to always use the latest revision to pick up
bugfixes and refinements; for the FIPS module it doesn't matter.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Validation Services, Inc.
marquess at openssl.com