[openssl-users] Roadmap: the future of 1.1?

Richard Paterson richard.c.paterson at sas.com
Fri Dec 2 15:14:23 UTC 2016

Hi,

We're at a point where we're deciding between two paths re OpenSSL;

*         Continue with OpenSSL 1.0.2 (LTS until December 2019) and struggle with getting EC to work

*         Move to OpenSSL 1.1.0 (supported until August 2018) whose new API makes it much more friendly to use.

https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html
This page doesn't currently mention what the future "trunk" version of OpenSSL will be after 1.1.0. Will there be a 1.1.1, or a 1.2.0 appearing in the next couple of years? You've said no 1.0.3, so I assume at some point a 1.1.n or 1.n.n release will become the new LTS.

In short, if we go to 1.1.0, are we going to have to swap back to 1.0.2 come August 2018, or will there be a 1.1.1 (or something) in place?

Thanks,

Richard