[openssl-users] Roadmap: the future of 1.1?

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Fri Dec 2 16:54:16 UTC 2016

On 02/12/16 15:14, Richard Paterson wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We’re at a point where we’re deciding between two paths re OpenSSL;
>
> ·         Continue with OpenSSL 1.0.2 (LTS until December 2019) and
> struggle with getting EC to work
>
> ·         Move to OpenSSL 1.1.0 (supported until August 2018) whose new
> API makes it much more friendly to use.
>

> https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html
>
> This page doesn’t currently mention what the future “trunk” version of
> OpenSSL will be after 1.1.0. Will there be a 1.1.1, or a 1.2.0 appearing
> in the next couple of years? You’ve said no 1.0.3, so I assume at some
> point a 1.1.n or 1.n.n release will become the new LTS.
>

> In short, if we go to 1.1.0, are we going to have to swap back to 1.0.2
> come August 2018, or will there be a 1.1.1 (or something) in place?

The next release will be 1.1.1. See:

https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2016/10/24/f2f-roadmap/

It will be well before August 2018.

Basically the plan is always that you can choose between the latest
release or the LTS release. We will always plan to produce another
"latest" release before the previous one goes out of support. If for
some reason we were unable to do that then I'm sure we would simply
extend the support period of the latest release out a bit until there
was one.