[openssl-users] MinGW64 / MSYS2 and ./Configure : use of Windows style path causing failures to 'make'

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Wed Dec 28 04:39:13 UTC 2016

In message <1767402444.2364257.1482869125627 at mail.yahoo.com> on Tue, 27 Dec 2016 20:05:25 +0000 (UTC), "Ron Gaw <ronmlgaw at yahoo dot com>" <ronmlgaw at yahoo.com> said:

ronmlgaw> I wondered about that as well.
ronmlgaw>
ronmlgaw> First, regarding my msys64: The root '/' is mapped to "C:\msys64", and
ronmlgaw> "/mingw64" is the directory where I keep all things MinGW64 w64.
ronmlgaw>
ronmlgaw> Second: I do have multiple Perl's installed, though only one in the
ronmlgaw> /mingw64 tree. In essence, I *think* all the non-mingw64 per stuff I
ronmlgaw> list below is irrelevant, but I'm not ruling those out as possible
ronmlgaw> culprits in this issue...
ronmlgaw>
ronmlgaw> So here's what I see (spoiler alert : nothing is jumping out at me as
ronmlgaw> the culprit):
ronmlgaw>
ronmlgaw> $ type /mingw64/bin/perl
ronmlgaw> /mingw64/bin/perl is /mingw64/bin/perl

So here's one thing already that jumps out to me.  On mingw, perl is
usually installed in /usr/bin, not in /mingw64/bin (which is empty on
my installation).  Do you have /usr/bin/perl.exe on your installation
(you whould, considering pacman reports mingw64 perl to be installed)?

ronmlgaw> $ /mingw64/bin/perl -v
ronmlgaw>
ronmlgaw> This is perl 5, version 22, subversion 0 (v5.22.0) built for
ronmlgaw> MSWin32-x64-multi-thread

Here's the next thing that jumps at me.  'MSWin32' indicates to me
that it was built for use directly in MS cmd.exe or the like (where
backslashes make sense) rather than a Unix like shell such as bash
(where backslashes don't make sense).

So this all tells to me that your /mingw64/bin/perl.exe comes from
somewhere else, that you will probably find /usr/bin/perl.exe, and
that's the perl you should use.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org