[openssl-users] Linker error when adding new cipher to crypto folder

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Fri Dec 30 19:43:12 UTC 2016

The header is irrelevant to linking, unless it contains macros that change the names of external symbols.

My guess is that you need -L/usr/local/openssl/lib, or something along those lines, on your gcc command line. I suspect you're linking against normal OpenSSL libraries installed elsewhere on your system, and not against the ones you built.

This is not specific to OpenSSL, by the way; it's all standard UNIX / Linux library use.

Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus