[openssl-users] Statically link FIPS OpenSSL to shared library application

Neptune pdrotter at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 17 19:19:37 UTC 2016

Are you supplying a base address for the shared library when linking? I ran
into this same problem but for Win32 .dll, but I'm not sure if there is the
same requirement for Linux so's. The problem was without supplying a base
address, the HMAC signature could not be found and the power on self test
would fail. Supplying the /BASE option in the link stage resolved this -
except in cases where the desired address was already occupied when the dll
was loaded and the dll was rebased - not sure if this is an issue with
Linux.

So, I suspect it is failing either because the fingerprint cannot be found
due to the base address not being supplied during linking, or your shared
object is not getting the address you want and the HMAC is not where the
power on self test expects to find it.

I hope this helps.