[openssl-users] Need information on AES encryption and decryption Key and IV type

Sugumar sugu.ece28 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 16:29:44 UTC 2016

Hi,,

I am using Openssl for encryption and decryption.
I need some information on AES encryption and decryption key and iv type.
My doubt is when we are using a openssl in command line we need to pass key
and iv as hex strings right?
and same when we are EVP calls in C/C++ programming what is the type of Key
and Iv. i mean it should a hex string or raw binary values?

I saw, openssl command line interface code of openssl in that the hex
strings are converted into hex values.
But in EVP calls the Key and Iv are used directly.