[openssl-users] Need information on AES encryption and decryption Key and IV type

Michel michel.sales at free.fr
Fri Feb 26 23:07:36 UTC 2016

As Rich already answered : "The IV, key, and ciphertext are all binary
arrays of bytes."
This is not specific to AES.
Converting from or to hex (or Base64) strings is needed only to read from or
print to outside your C program.
Values passed to EVP_*() calls are expected to be raw (binary) data :
unsigned char *key, unsigned char *iv, as documented in
https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/crypto/EVP_EncryptInit.html
(and do not rely on the 'bogus' key and IV values in the do_crypt()
example).