[openssl-users] Facing issue while configuring SSL

Devendra Sengar dssengar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 08:55:00 UTC 2016

Hi,

This is regarding the configuration of Tomcat SSL using the APR library on
Java 6.

While starting the server I am getting the below error:

SEVERE: Failed to initialize end point associated with ProtocolHandler
["http-apr-443"]
java.lang.Exception: Unable to load certificate key conf/localhost-key.pem
(error:02001003:system library:fopen:No such process)

I am trying to implement SSL using independent libraries for OpenSSL,
Tomcat Native and Apache Portable Runtime.

I have downloaded precompiled versions of OpenSSL and Tomcat Native (see
them attached). I have tried compiling the Apache Portable Runtime using
Visual Studio (find it also attached).

I am running those libraries on either Tomcat 7.0.6 or 7.0.70 64-bit for
Windows (using the 64-bit distro, not the installer one).

We are restricted by our applicatioin to use Oracle Java 6 Updated 115
64-bit.

The versions of the libraries I am using are the latest available online,
again see the binaries attached.

The parameters used in the server.xml file are:

For Tomcat 7.0.6:
<Connector
   protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol"
   port="443" maxThreads="200"
   scheme="https" secure="true" SSLEnabled="true"
   SSLCertificateFile="conf/localhost-cert.pem"
   SSLCertificateKeyFile="conf/localhost-key.pem"
   SSLCertificateChainFile="conf/ca.crt"
   SSLVerifyClient="optional" SSLProtocol="TLSv1"
   SSLCipherSuite="HIGH:!aNULL:!eNULL:!EXPORT:!DES:!RC4:!MD5:!kRSA"/>

For Tomcat 7.0.70

<Connector
   protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol"
   port="443" maxThreads="200"
   scheme="https" secure="true" SSLEnabled="true"
   SSLCertificateFile="conf/localhost-cert.pem"
   SSLCertificateKeyFile="conf/localhost-key.pem"
   SSLCertificateChainFile="conf/ca.crt"
   SSLVerifyClient="optional" SSLProtocol="TLSv1_2"
   SSLCipherSuite="HIGH:!aNULL:!eNULL:!EXPORT:!DES:!RC4:!MD5:!kRSA"/>

The library files are in the tomcat bin folder as openssl.exe,
tcnative-1.dll and libapr-1.dll.

tcnative-1.dll:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByilOlQCXOkWQ1ZCckhodHBvQk0/view?usp=sharing
openssl.exe:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByilOlQCXOkWQk9KUUJSb3ZqeW8/view?usp=sharing
libapr-1.dll:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByilOlQCXOkWV09NTi0tNWxhZnM/view?usp=sharing

The same certificates files mentioned in the server.xml file were used and
work in a brand new Apache web server.

Please let us know your opinion of what can cause those errors?

Can it be because of a APR dll not compiled properly?

Any other idea?

Thanks,
Devendra