[openssl-users] Symbol(s) not found _TLSv1_2_method _BIO_test_flags

Axel Luttgens axel.luttgens at skynet.be
Sun Jun 12 09:24:51 UTC 2016

> Le 9 juin 2016 à 02:29, Dan S a écrit :
>
> Hello, I've compiled openssl.1.0.2h on osx (32bit) and linked staticly my project with libcrypto.a and libssl/a, but I get 2 linking errors with "Symbol(s) not found":
>
> _TLSv1_2_method, referenced from ...
> and
> _BIO_test_flags, referenced from ...
>
> Why would this be happening?

Hello Dan,

Difficult to tell from here. ;-)

What (and how) are you trying to compile?

> Le 11 juin 2016 à 04:56, Dan S a écrit :
>
> I've also tried 1.0.2g and same problem on osx.  Little more details: on pc the expected symbol (_TLSv1_2_method) is in the ssleay32.lib as expected
>
> on mac (and this is specifically on 10.5 and 10.6 Darwin i386) it builds two libs:
>
> libcrypto.a and libssl.a (the undefined symbol is showing up in libssl.a but as undefined in lib itself) using `nm libssl.a`:
>
> […]
>
> it seems there is an object maybe missing from when it was linked.

This may also mean that they are expected to be defined somewhere else.

As a minimal test case, could you try to compile this one:

	#include <openssl/ssl.h>

	int main()
	{
		SSL_CTX * ctx;
		ctx = SSL_CTX_new(TLSv1_2_method());
	}

so as to check the consistency of the -I, -L and -l options passed to gcc?

Axel