[openssl-users] Guidance on proper usage of OpenSSL_add_all_digests

Neptune pdrotter at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 2 17:27:48 UTC 2016

Using OpenSSL 1.0.1l

I just learned the painful way that OpenSSL_add_all_digests() is not a
thread-safe function. I had been calling this in the constructor of a class
providing hash functions for multiple threads. My question is, how do I know
if a thread instantiating my class has called OpenSSL_add_all_digests() or
not? Is there a way to query OpenSSL for the state of the table? Perhaps
more importantly, is it a requirement to call this function at all? My test
application seems quite happy to do SHA1 hashes without calling any of the
*add_all* functions :-/

Google searches bring back about a dozen different "proper" ways of
initializing, so I am asking for some expert guidance.

Thanks!