[openssl-users] 'makedepend' in openssl builds: clarify need and correct usage

lists lists at rustichelli.net
Wed Mar 16 17:54:15 UTC 2016

On 03/14/2016 04:26 PM, PGNet Dev wrote:

>>> Must use it,
>>>
>>>     (1) https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Compilation_and_Installation
>>>         Dependencies
>>>
>>>         If you are prompted to run make depend, then you must do so.
>
> Which I currently attempt to do, but get the reported errors about not
> finding the stddef.h include etc.
>
>> I cannot see exactly what is that you find confusing.
>
> That the wiki says you don't need to,
>
> "Compilation
>
>  After configuring the library, you should run make. If prompted,
> there's usually no need to make depend since you are building from a
> clean download."

IMHO the Wiki is wrong, also the phrase is not crystal clear to me: "If
prompted" meaning? "Even if prompted to do so" or "If _not_ prompted"?
Anyway, the header-file-not-found issue is a bug, of course, apart from
the necessity of running "make depend" or not. I doubt that without
running "make depend" you'd do better.