[openssl-users] 'makedepend' in openssl builds: clarify need and correct usage

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 21:52:08 UTC 2016

> After
>
>         ./configure ...
>
> I'm prompted
>
>         Since you've disabled or enabled at least one algorithm, you need to
> do
>         the following before building:
>
>                 make depend
>
> Exec'ing the 'make depend' stage returns lots of warnings,

I'm not sure what's going on here. A lot has changed recently, and
something could have been knocked loose.

> Reading wiki & reports at openssl, there's confusing, if not conflicting,
> advice.

OK, so the issue here is... Painting with a broad brush, there are
three OpenSSL distros - 1.0.1, 1.0.2 and 1.1.0 (and even 0.9.8). There
are also two build systems - the classic one from 1.0.1/1.0.2 (and
even 0.9.8) and the new unified one from 1.1.0.

Our task is to come up with one rule that "just works" everywhere to
teach users. We want "one rule to rule them all" because its easiest
on users. We don't want multiple rules. Its the reason 1.1.0 accepts a
config of "./config no-ssl2 ..." even though SSLv2 has been removed.
Its the rule we've been pounding into people's head's.

The rule I've been following/practicing is the following. I do it
regardless of whether I am prompted or not (because I like one simple
rule to follow):

     make depend && make clean && make

    - 'make depend' gets the dependencies right
    - 'make clean' gets rid of old/dated artifacts (with dependencies
accounted for)
    - 'make' builds under a "good" state (since depend and clean have executed)

************

Regarding this from the wiki:

    After configuring the library, you should run make. If prompted,
    there's usually no need to make depend since you are building
    from a clean download."

We should probably remove that statement and replace it with the one
rule. Sadly, I'm probably the guy who put it there. I'll get that
fixed later today.

If I can ask.... as a user, if I say do this _all the time_, then
would it be easiest on you?

    make depend && make clean && make

Or is there something else you would recommend?