[openssl-users] good riddance to PayPal

Steve Marquess marquess at openssl.com
Wed May 11 20:00:57 UTC 2016

On 05/11/2016 02:46 PM, Johann v. Preußen wrote:
> Marquess:
>
> your treasury re-alignment might be simplified a bit if you look to an
> on-line-type bank such as Ally Bank. ...

It's a U.S. bank. We already have multiple U.S. bank accounts.

> you have mentioned server-siting and non-US personnel as control agents
> as somewhat problematic. i might suggest a simple and very low-cost
> means of obviating these concerns. if openssl were to incorporate as a
> type IRS Reg 501(c)(3) it would satisfy US Treasury Reg's and make life
> a lot easier. ...

Yes, it would indeed, and if I had a nickel for each time I've heard
this suggestion I'd had enough beer I'd need never face sobriety again.

We have pursued 501(c) with several attorneys, all of which have advised
us that our chances of successfully obtaining 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(6)
status are nil. Apparently the IRS does not look kindly on our type of
open source project.

That is one of the reasons we need to relocate outside of U.S. jurisdiction.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Validation Services, Inc.