[openssl-users] good riddance to PayPal

Johann v. Preußen jvp at forthepolls.org
Wed May 11 20:56:14 UTC 2016

i am somewhat surprised your attorneys have not mentioned the most simplistic
solution. if the sole purpose for incorporating is to implement banking, there
is actually no need to register for an IRS letter. if you satisfy the state
regulations and obtain an EIN you are fine. the IRS letter does give safe harbor
to donors that the amounts given are federally deductible. of course, to your
major donors who provide moneys under grants and/or contracts there is no
practical tax-wise difference between "gift" and "business expense".

if you would like the specifics re CA, here are the applicable links granting
freedom from CA taxation and franchise fees and establishing subsequent Federal
tax-filing status:
*the state equivalent of IRC 501(c)(3):*
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/businesses/Exempt_organizations/Types_of_Exemptions.shtml#d23701
*your qualifications under "Scientific" endeavors:*
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/businesses/Exempt_organizations/Types_of_Exemptions.shtml#Scientific
*your qualifications under "Educational" endeavors:*
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/businesses/Exempt_organizations/Types_of_Exemptions.shtml#Educational_org

all of that said, there are plenty of examples of open-source org's that are
already IRS-recognized under IRC 501(c)(3) such as Software in the Public
Interest, Apache, Eclipse Foundation, Open Source Initiative,
Linux Foundation, Software Freedom Conservancy, and many more. i have noticed,
though, what your attorneys have related to you in that the IRS has recently
seemed to turn a blind eye to the "public benefit" clause when it comes to
open-source software. this is a trend of just a couple of years and turns from
the path they had followed for decades in granting acceptance. if someone took
the time to copy/edit one of these org's by-laws and submitted to the IRS they
would be hard-pressed to deny based on the facts and would have to reveal a
decidedly philosophical reason which would be wide open to appeal. naturally, i
have no idea if any of this extra effort would yield anything meaningful to
openssl. certainly, qualifying for non-profit status in CA actually grants you
what you really need and does not require any extra efforts.

--
Thank you,

Johann v. Preußen