[openssl-users] good riddance to PayPal

Johann v. Preußen jvp at forthepolls.org
Thu May 12 18:23:22 UTC 2016

dwolla: yes, i keyed off your comment re getting your last $'s from paypal and
thought they would work for your donations: US, at least. and then somebody like
Citi (a globally top-three credit card issuer) could handle accounts in GBP and
EURO in London with a relatively small translation cost for Nordics and other
Euro-peripherals into either London pool.

the rest of the globe would probably be cheaper to come into NYC in USD. if you
spend in GBP/EURO you would do so from those accounts with no translation costs.
of course, you can concentrate the funds where ever you might need them as the
need arises.

OK, that type of a system takes a bit of effort to get going; but then it is
quite low-cost and easy to actually run. *however, if you are looking for some
sort of a paypal "drop-in" one that i am familiar with is propay.*

  * they have some concessionary pricing for non-profits (you can just provide
    proof of your "exempt" DE status).
  * i am not sure what their currency translation hits might be since i only
    know about a US set-up.
  * they do non-swipe cards at 2.2%+$0.25 (no surprise: except for Am Ex which
    you do not have to accept).
  * they do ACH, but have a percentage applied (less than 1%) instead of a much
    lower per-transaction fee.
  * transaction fees might get even lower if your volume is attractive to them.
  * no other fees at all.
  * they also have a bunch of API's you can choose from.
  * one added feature that may interest you is they have a means whereby you can
    post an anchor in social media sites to capture donations back to their system.
  * they also do the maximum PCI isolation so that you do not have to worry re that.
  * they have an "auto-sweep" function every couple of days for depositing into
    your current bank account which can be altered to your own preferred schedule.
  * you can establish multiple accounts if you have FX disbursement needs such
    as GBP and/or Euro and then there would be no attendant translation costs.

of course, this is also a place where you can leverage your org's rep to
possibly get even better terms. you could start at their non-profit page and
look on from there and see if there are more features i do not know about:
http://www.propay.com/affiliate/charity/?refid=charity

--
Thank you,

Johann v. Preußen