[openssl-users] SMIME signing with SHA1

Harald Koch root at c-works.net
Tue Nov 22 08:40:21 UTC 2016

Hello,

I’m facing a critical situation in my application when creating a signed SMIME message using SHA1 as message digest algorithm. In openSSL 1.0.2 (i.e. 1.0.2h), the following command worked as expected:

/opt/openssl-1.0.2h/bin/openssl smime -sign -in original_message -signer cert_key.pem -md sha1

The message output contains a header using sha1:

With openSSL 1.1.0c, I get a segmentation fault with the same command. Using md5 or sha256 (or even not providing the parameter „-md“, resultig in sha256) the command works as expected. Trying to determine where the segmentation fault happen, I used my C program to step through every function call, it turns out that „SMIME_write_PKCS7“ seems to be the critical point.

I’m sure I’m using the correct LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable value for every test in Linux. The platforms I tested are Linux 32bit & 64bit, Mac OS 10.12.1.

Thank you for any help.

Harald Koch