[openssl-users] TLS handshake fail in libssl1.0.2j

Mattia Rossi rossimattia92 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 17:15:03 UTC 2016

Hi all,

it's the first time i ask question here, i have a small PHP script
that send mail with SMTP to 'sendm.cert.legalmail.it' on port 465 with
TLS, on ubuntu server 16.04 i have the last update of libssl1.0.2j but
i can't open a socket to that host the handshake fail with this error:

> Warning: fsockopen(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
> error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure in /tmp/connect.php on line 12
> PHP Warning:  fsockopen(): Failed to enable crypto in /tmp/connect.php on line 12

> Warning: fsockopen(): Failed to enable crypto in /tmp/connect.php on line 12
> PHP Warning:  fsockopen(): unable to connect to ssl://sendm.cert.legalmail.it:465 (Unknown error) in /tmp/connect.php on line 12

downgrade to 1.0.2h fix all problems, other host seems to be no
affected to the same issue.

It's a bug of openssl? (i don't think so) or it's a bug of the mail provider?

Thanks for the support, ask me more i some info are missing!