[openssl-users] EVP_CIPHER_CTX array not compiling

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 14:24:59 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Salz, Rich via openssl-users
<openssl-users at openssl.org> wrote:
>>#define OTEXT_AES_KEY_INIT(ctx, buf) { \
>>        EVP_CIPHER_CTX_init(ctx); \
>>        EVP_EncryptInit_ex(ctx, EVP_aes_128_ecb(), NULL, buf, ZERO_IV); \
>>        }
>
> Most of the datatypes are now opaque.  This means you can't have an EVP_CIPHER_CTX object, but instead a pointer to it.  Don't call the init function, call the new function.  And then that has rippling changes in your code.

Related, see https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/OpenSSL_1.1.0_Changes.
The page name is kind of boring, but it discusses how to convert from
1.0.2 to 1.1.0. In addition, it provides a small compatibility layer
so a lot of code "just works" for both 1.0.2 and 1.1.0.

We lifted it from Kurt's patch to OpenSSH. OpenSSH is stuck at 1.0.2,
and Kurt provided them with a migration path.

Jeff