[openssl-users] Which protocols should my client support?

Jeff Archer jeffarcher7 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 17:42:49 UTC 2017

I think this is a silly question but I still would like to get a
knowledgeable and experienced confirmation of my thinking.

My client is a custom application and as such only needs to communicate
with specific servers for specific purposes.  I think it makes sense for my
client to only support the specific protocol that my server will use,
ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256.  Does this sound reasonable or should I also
include others as well?

My thinking is that if the servers are changed one day, it would only be
for increasing security and thus I will probably need to update to latest
OpenSSL and so will be updating my app at this time anyway.  Also, since
they are my companies servers, I will be notified ahead of time that change
is coming.

​hanks,
​
Jeff