[openssl-users] openssl ca can only create PEM certs

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Aug 21 20:37:07 UTC 2017

-outform in the following is invalid:

openssl ca -outform $format -config $cadir/openssl-root.cnf -extensions
v3_intermediate_ca\
       -keyform $format -days 3650 -notext -md sha256 \
       -in $dir/csr/intermediate.csr.$format -out
$dir/certs/intermediate.cert.$format

where format=der

Looks like can can convert the pem to der with:

openssl x509 -outform der -in certificate.pem -out certificate.der

But, I am going to have to figure out how to do the same sort of process
using 'openssl x509'.

I think one of the args is -CA, and  then I can use -set_serial and not
need the serial file...

Bob