[openssl-users] Cant get openssl x509 to work as documented

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Aug 22 01:02:33 UTC 2017

I had a frustrating day.  I looked at the documentation at:

https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.0.2/apps/x509.html

My Fedora24 reports that I am at version 1.0.2k

I made the following comand:

openssl x509 -req -days 3650 -extensions v3_intermediate_ca -inform $format\
  -in $dir/csr/intermediate.csr.$format -outform $format -out
$dir/certs/intermediate.cert.$format\
-CAkeyform $format -CAkey $cadir/private/ca.key.$format -CAform $format\
  -CA $cadir/certs/ca.cert.$format

Where format=der and got that der is an invalid option.  Plus the 'help'
reported:

Note that -CAkeyform is invalid and that -CAkey can only be PEM.

Even when I used my pem CA key, I still got errors.  -config is not an
option, where does this command get the config file from? -extensions
says it looks to the config file for that label!

SHA256 is not listed as a valid hash.

usage: x509 args
  -inform arg     - input format - default PEM (one of DER, NET or PEM)
  -outform arg    - output format - default PEM (one of DER, NET or PEM)
  -keyform arg    - private key format - default PEM
  -CAform arg     - CA format - default PEM
  -CAkeyform arg  - CA key format - default PEM
  -in arg         - input file - default stdin
  -out arg        - output file - default stdout
  -passin arg     - private key password source
  -serial         - print serial number value
  -subject_hash   - print subject hash value
  -subject_hash_old   - print old-style (MD5) subject hash value
  -issuer_hash    - print issuer hash value
  -issuer_hash_old    - print old-style (MD5) issuer hash value
  -hash           - synonym for -subject_hash
  -subject        - print subject DN
  -issuer         - print issuer DN
  -email          - print email address(es)
  -startdate      - notBefore field
  -enddate        - notAfter field
  -purpose        - print out certificate purposes
  -dates          - both Before and After dates
  -modulus        - print the RSA key modulus
  -pubkey         - output the public key
  -fingerprint    - print the certificate fingerprint
  -alias          - output certificate alias
  -noout          - no certificate output
  -ocspid         - print OCSP hash values for the subject name and
public key
  -ocsp_uri       - print OCSP Responder URL(s)
  -trustout       - output a "trusted" certificate
  -clrtrust       - clear all trusted purposes
  -clrreject      - clear all rejected purposes
  -addtrust arg   - trust certificate for a given purpose
  -addreject arg  - reject certificate for a given purpose
  -setalias arg   - set certificate alias
  -days arg       - How long till expiry of a signed certificate - def
30 days
  -checkend arg   - check whether the cert expires in the next arg seconds
                    exit 1 if so, 0 if not
  -signkey arg    - self sign cert with arg
  -x509toreq      - output a certification request object
  -req            - input is a certificate request, sign and output.
  -CA arg         - set the CA certificate, must be PEM format.
  -CAkey arg      - set the CA key, must be PEM format
                    missing, it is assumed to be in the CA file.
  -CAcreateserial - create serial number file if it does not exist
  -CAserial arg   - serial file
  -set_serial     - serial number to use
  -text           - print the certificate in text form
  -C              - print out C code forms
  -<dgst>         - digest to use, see openssl dgst -h output for list
  -extfile        - configuration file with X509V3 extensions to add
  -extensions     - section from config file with X509V3 extensions to add
  -clrext         - delete extensions before signing and input certificate
  -nameopt arg    - various certificate name options
  -engine e       - use engine e, possibly a hardware device.
  -certopt arg    - various certificate text options
  -checkhost host - check certificate matches "host"
  -checkemail email - check certificate matches "email"
  -checkip ipaddr - check certificate matches "ipaddr"

So it looks like for now, I cannot make a guide that easily supports DER
or PEM.  DER really seems to be an issue how to make.

My searching has come up pretty empty.  No instructions out there.