[openssl-users] Can't build OpenSSL on Windows

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Fri Dec 29 17:14:04 UTC 2017

In message <20171229145927.2201-1-martin at eclypsium.com> on Fri, 29 Dec 2017 11:59:27 -0300, Martin Galvan <omgalvan.86 at gmail.com> said:

omgalvan.86> Well, after a couple more tries it seems to be working now. I don't get the
omgalvan.86> same error as before, but rather a complaint about stddef.h not being found.
omgalvan.86> I'm guessing that's more of a Visual Studio problem, so I'll look into that.

Ok, so this is a timestamp thing.  I had a system once where this
happened, because some of the files configdata.pm depended on were
timestamped in the future.  It turned out that the time of that
systems was badly set (in the past), so it took that time difference
before 'mms' (this was a VMS machine, 'mms' is the 'make' command
there) stopped reconfiguring.

configdata.pm depends on Configure, Configurations/*.conf,
Configurations/*.pl, Configurations/*.tmpl, and all the
build.info files.  If any of those are newer, 'nmake' will
automatically reconfigure and ask you to run again.

Timing is everything ;-)

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org