[openssl-users] ECDSA_SIG_new and ECDSA_SIG_free details

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 16:18:38 UTC 2017

> Could someone from the OpenSSL team please explain the rationale for this
> decision? What is the problem with using assignments with 0 or NULL to
> initialize pointers?

I'm not from the team, so take it for what its worth...

On some systems, NULL is _not_ 0. NULL can be anywhere in memory the
architecture wants it to be. It can be in a high page in memory, too.
One of my instructors in college was telling me about a system he
worked on where NULL was an address in the last page in memory, so it
took a value like `0xffffffff`.

Jeff