[openssl-users] How to enable RC4 in OpenSSL 1.1.0c

Chris Clark a.chris.clark at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 01:29:17 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 3:37 PM, Viktor Dukhovni
<openssl-users at dukhovni.org> wrote:

>> I am trying to compile OpenSSL 1.1.0c for Visual Studio with the
> >depreciated RC4 cipher enabled.

>> I tried the following configure line:
>> perl Configure VC-WIN64A enable-weak-ssl-ciphers enable-deprecated enable-rc4
>>
> > Once I compile, and I run "openssl ciphers -v" it does not show any RC4 ciphers.
> > Is there another parameter needed?
>
> Which "openssl" command did you run and against which libraries?
> Report the output of "openssl version -a".

OpenSSL 1.1.0c  10 Nov 2016
built on: reproducible build, date unspecified
platform:
compiler: cl " "VC-WIN64A
OPENSSLDIR: "c:\openssl64"
ENGINESDIR: "C:\openssl64\lib\engines-1_1"

Here is the batch file I used:
SET PREFIX=C:\openssl64
SET OPENSSLDIR=C:\openssl64
perl Configure VC-WIN64A enable-weak-ssl-ciphers enable-deprecated enable-rc4
nmake

>> I would also like to know, is it possible to also enable the depreciated SSL3
>> ciphers?
>
> Do you mean the ciphers or the protocol?  Many SSLv3 ciphers are
> still needed for interoperable TLS 1.0/1.1/1.2

Sorry, I meant to say the SSLv3 protocol.

-Chris