[openssl-users] newer openSSL no longer produce libeay32 on Windows?

Baojun Wang wangbj at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 16:48:48 UTC 2017

Hi list,

On windows platform, Some libraries (not openSSL) explicitly link with
libeay32.dll, however, it seems openSSL 1.1+ only builds libssl & libcrypto
(personally I prefer this, because it is consistent with other *nix
platforms). What is the purpose of libeay32? Is it only for 32-bit windows,
and is it only part of older openSSL (0.9.8ish)?

Also on Windows (64-bit), openssl produces libssl-1_1-x64.dll as well as
libcrypto-1_1-x64.dll, this could be painful for application who has to
specify openssl dependency, for example now I have to choose ssl-1_1-x64
and crypto-1_1-x64 as extra-libs, but I imagine there's a more idiomatic
way to make linking on windows (not only 64-bit) easier, do you have any
idea?

Thanks
baojun