[openssl-users] newer openSSL no longer produce libeay32 on Windows?

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Thu Jun 8 17:31:39 UTC 2017

On 08/06/2017 18:48, Baojun Wang wrote:
> On windows platform, Some libraries (not openSSL) explicitly link with
> libeay32.dll, however, it seems openSSL 1.1+ only builds libssl &
> libcrypto (personally I prefer this, because it is consistent with
> other *nix platforms). What is the purpose of libeay32? Is it only for
> 32-bit windows, and is it only part of older openSSL (0.9.8ish)?

libeay was the historic name for libcrypto back when OpenSSL
was SSLeay, the Windows port was late in implementing the name change.

> Also on Windows (64-bit), openssl produces libssl-1_1-x64.dll as well
> as libcrypto-1_1-x64.dll, this could be painful for application who
> has to specify openssl dependency, for example now I have to choose
> ssl-1_1-x64 and crypto-1_1-x64 as extra-libs, but I imagine there's a
> more idiomatic way to make linking on windows (not only 64-bit)
> easier, do you have any idea?
Traditionally, Windows (like Unix) uses the same file name for
32 and 64 bits, but puts them in different directories.  If
they need to be in the same directory for some applications,
the traditional solution is to insert "32" or "64" on its own,
while still using the same file name for different architectures
with the same bitness.  For example a compile for 32 bit MIPS
(supported by older Windows releases) or 32 bit ARM (supported
by newer releases) would have the same name as for 32 bit x86.
Similar for the 4 64 bit architectures supported at various
times (Alpha 64 bit, Itanium, AMD x86_64, 64 bit ARM).

Microsoft did some crazy experiments with a directory scheme
called SxS for versioned DLLs, its badly done and should be
avoided if possible.

Enjoy

Jakob