[openssl-users] Building OpenSSL for Intel Xeon Phi

Jan Just Keijser janjust at nikhef.nl
Tue Nov 14 14:44:39 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 14/11/17 10:25, Richard Levitte wrote:
>  From the look of that PNG, you're building in a native Windows
> environment.  The ony configs available in the main source are for
> Visual C, and are configured like this:
>
>      perl Configure --prefix=D:\openssl\bin shared VC-WIN64A
>
> If you meant to cross compile for a Linux, I do not have an answer for
> you.  In that case, it would probably be better if you could build
> directly on the intended box.

good catch - but that is an issue that is hard to overcome with the
(almost obsolete) Xeon Phi COprocessors.
Normally you'd build a cross-compile for the Phi on the host system
using the Intel C/C++ compiler, by adding a flag "-mmic" (or /mmic) to
the CFLAGS variable.
On Linux, this is easy to do - I have built several versions of OpenSSL
for the KNC Xeon Phi. For Windows, however, you are stuck between an
OpenSSL environment which only supports VC and an Intel/Xeon Phi
environment which insists that you use ICC with the flag "-mmic" .

The question asked by the original poster is better answered on the
Intel MIC developer forum.

cheers,

JJK / Jan Just Keijser