[openssl-users] Engine configuration

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Wed Oct 4 17:35:29 UTC 2017

On 04/10/2017 19:28, Dmitry Belyavsky wrote:
> Dear Stephen,
>
> On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 12:16 AM, Dr. Stephen Henson <steve at openssl.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 02, 2017, Dmitry Belyavsky wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a question regarding engine configuration.
>>>
>>> We need to implement such behaviour:
>>> - on load the engine is configured with the commands from config file,
>> but
>>> the values can be overwritten via environment
>> That part can be done with the config file syntax see config(5)
>>
>>> - application can change the engine's configuration via
>> ENGINE_ctrl_string
>>> functions.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to distinguish whether engine is configured via the
>> config
>>> file or via direct calls to ENGINE_ctrl* functions?
>>>
>> Not currently no: the config file calls the relevant control operations.
>>

> Does it make sense to create a PR  (without code for now) to make these
> cases distinguishable?
> Thank you!
It would make more sense to ensure that the configuration (from any origin,
ENGINE_ctrl_, config file, environment, future mechanisms) is consistently
read through the same software "stack" and code path, such that any
supplemental / engine specific parameters are passed through all the way
and the engine code doesn't need to know or care about where that is.

Enjoy

Jakob