[openssl-users] SSL_read() failed: error:140E0197:SSL routines:SSL_shutdown:shutdown while in init

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Thu Oct 26 12:23:34 UTC 2017

On 26/10/17 11:22, Kadlecsik József wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We upgraded one of our dovecot servers to debian stretch with dovecot
> 2.2.27 and since then an alpine MUA user has been experiencing random IMAP
> failures.
>
> We enabled debugging at both sides, the client tells only:
>
> {XXXX}INBOX: [CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (server response)
>
> and we could verify that the client indeed did not receive the server
> response.
>
> On the server side the raw log shows that the correct response is pushed
> to the client, but at the same time in the debug log we see:
>
> Oct 20 18:50:05 mail2 dovecot: imap-login: Debug: SSL error: SSL_read()
> failed: error:140E0197:SSL routines:SSL_shutdown:shutdown while in init
>
> The openssl package is 1.1.0f-3.
>
> The error messsage is total cryptic to me: how could three states be
> intermixed?
>
> I think it's a dovecot issue about how the openssl library is used but I'm
> unfamiliar with the details of the openssl library: what function, macro
> is used incorrectly then, at which state?

SSL_shutdown() is used to shut down an SSL/TLS connection that has
already been established (meaning that the SSL/TLS handshake has
completed and we are ready to send/receive application data). If you
call SSL_shutdown() while the handshake is still in progress then you
get the "shutdown while in init" error message.