[openssl-users] Testing OCSP with openssl

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Sep 5 12:43:15 UTC 2017

Jamie Nugyen's guide uses openssl to test OCSP with 'openssl ocsp':

https://jamielinux.com/docs/openssl-certificate-authority/online-certificate-status-protocol.html

What is unclear here is:

Does openssl read the index.txt file once at startup, or does it read it
with each query.  From the way I read his guide it reads like index.txt
is only read at startup.

Also he recommends password protecting the keypair.  That results in
needing to provide the password at responder startup.  Is this the
'normal' approach?  Is the password provided in some other file (like a
responder config file)?  I am use to putting SQL passwords into php
config files, not that I like that...

thanks

Bob