[openssl-users] Problem with Last step in setup

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Tue Sep 5 16:17:32 UTC 2017

On 05/09/2017 17:37, Gerardi, Elio wrote:

> I am getting the following error when I run the ‘make install’ command
> on OPenSSL
>
> make install
>
> /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make depend &&
> /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make _all
>
> *** Installing development files
>
> Cannot create directory /usr/local/include: No such file or directory
>
> make: *** [install_dev] Error 2

Simple.

The default "make install" location for most UNIX-style software is in
the  /usr/local/ subtree.  The Linux community even created a standard
explaining the typical layout of Linux, which is based on decades of
UNIX tradition, with some choices made where traditions varied.

The intended typical use is to run the other make steps as a build user,
then running make install as someone with the (delegated) authority to
write to /usr/local (e.g. membership of a 'staff' group).

In the case of OpenSSL 0.9.x and 1.0.x, this value can be changed by
passing --openssldir=/some/dir/of/your/choice to Configure, but
unfortunately, this also causes the compiled code to expect things like
openssl.cnf to be located beneath that directory on all machines where
the binary code are run.

Enjoy

Jakob